A Little Bit About Us
Porthcawl YMCA was established in 1908 and has served as a centre for the community and cultural life of the town continually.
The original building, Dorothy Cafe, 13 John Street, (later changed to 25 John Street) was first purchased for £1,200.
Originally 2 shops: Dorothy Cafe baked in the rear of the building.
The YMCA sold the ovens for five shillings each!
A £650,000 refurbishment and partial rebuild of the premises created 'The Y Centre', providing access to facilities promoting health & wellbeing and active & passive learning with community participation and social inclusion.
Porthcawl YMCA as a registered charity, became a company limited by guarantee in July 2012. The Worldwide YMCA movement was founded over 170 years ago in London.
The Association is affiliated to the World Alliance of YMCAs through the National Council of England and Wales and European Alliance of YMCAs.
Our Association is governed by a board of 9 voluntary Directors and employs 7 members of staff who are supported by volunteers, who all assist in the delivery of services.
As a social enterprise, membership and programme of Porthcawl YMCA is open to all.
Porthcawl YMCA, The Y Centre, works with and supports many different groups and community members; offering support when needed, a place to learn, a variety of activities and a safe place to meet friends.